This blog is following the creation of two giant paintings I am working on called Young Saints & Old Martyrs.
The paintings will face each other with the viewer in the middle. This activates the space between the paintings, giving it a third dimensional quality. The painting is commentary on the history of religious and theological thought, and how it affects the current generations.

Sunday, June 5, 2011

WHY-O-WHY?


A lot of people have asked me why I would paint such a large painting.  What am I going to do with it?  Who would buy it?  Who has the wall space?  All good questions I suppose, but none that I ever consider when I start a painting.  I suppose a better question is why do I paint at all?  I paint to get images out of my mind.  I see the painting before I even start it, and the only way to get rid of it, is to paint it.  The idea for this painting has been floating around in my head for a while.  It started out at eight feet, but as I thought about it more, it had to be life size, which meant it would be 19 feet long and 6 feet tall.  And the painting that faces it would be 12 feet long and 6 feet tall.  The problem with canvases that large is that once I stretch them in my studio, the only way they are coming out is if I take the canvas off the stretcher bars and break the stretcher bars down to 8 foot lengths.

Another problem with painting this size is cost… That would be enough to stop any sensible person.  Before I started the painting, and after pricing out materials, I spent a couple anxiety filled weeks facing the reality that I WAS going to do this painting.  It wasn’t a question of weighing out the pros and cons and making a rational decision.  In my mind I already knew I was going to no matter what.  The idea was there, and it had to be painted, I was there only to facilitate its creation. 

To help rationalize this decision in my mind, and for those around me that gave me the cocked-eye-brow-look, I am entering the painting into a competition in September called ArtPrize.  It has a large cash prize and set the minds of those close to me a little more at ease that I am doing this to win some big bucks.  The truth is, I would do it even if there was no competition, and the chances of me getting in are extremely small… 


No comments:

Post a Comment